February 14, 2014
January 30, 2014
January 10, 2014
January 9, 2014
December 12, 2013
Since our founding, The Pachamama Alliance has been committed to the vision of our indigenous partners.
While our primary work is in the industrialized world – shifting the culture of overconsumption that threatens the Amazon rainforest and its indigenous communities – we also stand by our commitment to safeguard the rainforest as that larger shift happens.
Fundación Pachamama was set up in 1997 as our sister organization in Ecuador to carry out this work on the ground with our indigenous partners.
Partnering to Protect Indigenous Lands and Cultures
Through Fundación Pachamama, we promote an alternative and innovative development model based on the recognition of and respect for human rights and the rights of Nature. Guided by this model, we work to create the necessary conditions for indigenous communities to strengthen their self-determination, governance, territorial defense, and ways of life.
We partner with groups whose territories span the border regions of Ecuador, Peru, Bolivia, Brazil and Colombia. This extends over tens of millions of acres of one of the most pristine and biodiverse ecosystems on Earth, a source of biological, cultural, and medicinal wealth for all humanity.
Results with High Impact
Fundación Pachamama is a key actor in Ecuador and the region. Over its short trajectory in the region, Pachamama has achieved great success, including:
- Advocating for the historic inclusion of Rights of Nature in the 2008 Ecuadorian Constitution
- Co-creating the innovative Yasuní-ITT initiative
- Driving landmark court cases such as that of the Kichwa Communities of Sarayaku
- Strengthening the political structures and processes of Amazonian indigenous nationalities
- Building management capacity of the Achuar nationality’s eco-tourism companies
- Securing legal recognition of 1.8 million acres of ancestral territories
Our Invitation to You
Ecuador is a microcosm of the challenges and opportunities humankind is facing globally, a place alive with the energy of new possibilities. Our partnerships there continue to generate ideas and models that weave together indigenous and modern worldviews to create a just, thriving, and sustainable future for the human family.