Preserving Indigenous Life with Alternative Economic Strategies
From ecotourism projects to complementary currencies, economic alternatives that reinforce the value of an intact rainforest are of primary importance in the indigenous communities of the western Amazon basin.
Alternatives to Oil Development
We work with our indigenous partners to create a sustainable economic foundation for preserving their way of life, including:
- complementary currency systems to support rural development and promote local production, consumption and trade
- permaculture and aquaculture projects
- ecotourism projects, such as Kapawi Ecolodge and Tiinkias Lodge
With the partnership of Fundación Pachamama, the Achuar nationality formed and continues to own and manage two very successful companies:
- CEKSA, the company that manages the award-winning Kapawi Ecolodge
- Aerotsentsak, the only Achuar-owned airline flying to Achuar territory
Both companies demonstrate the potential for generating income and leadership capacities to support the autonomous development of the Achuar and other nationalities.