Since you’ve landed on this page and are reading these words that probably means you’ve wondered at some point how you can have an impact (the good kind) on the environment in your day-to-day life.
Maybe you took action and started using energy efficient light bulbs or bringing your own bags to the grocery store (oops, now that’s 12 changes!), but did you know that even at your BBQ party or while tending to your laundry there are simple but effective opportunities to reduce your ecological footprint?
The list below provides 10 simple changes you can make around the house to help create a healthier environment. Consider it a helpful starter kit for an eco-friendly home life.
Be sure to explore the treasure trove of links throughout, as they provide valuable background information on how to go about safely and appropriately doing these things, and why they are so important in the first place!
- Clean the lint filter in your dryer after every load so that each cycle uses less energy. Or better yet, switch to air drying your clothes!
- Reduce water use and save energy by switching to low-flow showerheads.
- Find alternatives to household cleaning products that use hazardous and/or toxic chemicals.
- Reduce the carbon footprint of your house by installing energy-efficient windows.
- Lessen your environmental impact and nourish the environment at the same time by composting.
- When printing paper, use recycled paper and print on both sides. Also, remember to properly recycle the ink cartridges when they run out.
- Instead of using lighter fluid when firing up your BBQ consider using more environmentally friendly alternatives.
- Depending on the size of your household, you can help save thousands of gallons of water every year by switching to newer, more efficient toilets.
- Make a conscious commitment to store food in reusable containers, and only containers made using environmentally safe materials.
- Try washing clothes with cold water since 90% of the energy used by your washing machine goes into heating the water.
We’d love to hear your solutions as well so please comment below!
- For an even greater list of simple ways you can take action in your life to improve the health of the environment click here.
- Check out this previous bog post about “upcycling,” an excellent way to reduce garbage!
- Find an Awakening the Dreamer Symposium or Getting Into Action Workshop near you for an in depth exploration into current environmental and social issues, and how you can more deeply engage your ability to take action in your life to do something about them.