Position: Full-time, exempt
Location: San Francisco Presidio, CA
Deadline for Application: March 11, 2019 (position open until filled)
About Pachamama Alliance
Pachamama Alliance is an established San Francisco-based social-profit organization with a mission to empower indigenous people of the Amazon rainforest to preserve their lands and culture and, using insights gained from that work, to educate and inspire individuals everywhere to bring forth a thriving, just and sustainable world.
Pachamama Alliance’s Operations Team seeks an experienced, detail-oriented, and organized Finance Manager to develop and implement financial operations, systems, policies and practices to support the fulfillment of Pachamama Alliance’s vision and mission. In this position, you will work on a collectively-managed team in an organization with a non-hierarchical leadership model. We are looking for a candidate whose life purpose is deeply aligned with the mission and vision of Pachamama Alliance.
The Senior Finance Manager serves as the foundation for the financial health of Pachamama Alliance by managing day-to-day financial operations and accounting functions. The Finance Manager develops and maintains efficient and effective financial operations, assists in preparation of organizational and department budgets and financial analyses, and ensures that appropriate policies, procedures, and internal controls are maintained to safeguard the organization and facilitate effective financial management.
The Finance Manager will be an experienced and can-do professional committed to building and maintaining effective infrastructure for financial management, and will bring to the position strong analytical and organizational skills and the ability to be task-oriented and hands-on.
The ideal candidate will possess an advanced degree in accounting, business, economics, finance, or a related field; several years of experience in a finance role serving nonprofits, superior mathematical skills; understanding of data privacy standards; solid communication skills—both written and verbal; deep understanding of business principles and practices; superior attention to detail; organizational skills; planning skills; research skills; analytical skills; critical thinking skills; problem-solving skills; computer skills; multi-tasking abilities; integrity, honesty.
A typical day can range from orderly and standard routines and processes through to involvement in legal and contract issues and system/project work. This is a strategic, forward-thinking role, and having a sense of humor and patience is appreciated. This position works closely with the Operations Director and CEO, and also interacts with the Board’s Finance and Audit Committees. Pachamama Alliance is a high-performing organization with ambitious goals, an outstanding organizational culture, and extremely talented staff. Your get-to-do list will never be empty.
Financial Management Responsibilities
- Manage all day-to-day financial operations, including A/P, A/R, cash flow, investments, monthly, quarterly, and annual close of accounting, and maintenance of financial records. Develop and maintain effective tools to achieve these ends efficiently and accurately.
- Develop and maintain effective financial/accounting policies, processes, internal controls, revenue recognition methods and balance sheet analysis
- Develop organizational and department budgets on an annual basis and monitor and report on progress and changes on a monthly and quarterly basis and identify areas for potential improvement
- Monitor basic financial controls: cash, credit cards, expense reports, check runs, deposits, etc.
- Perform payroll administration: time off-entry, salary adjustments, etc.
- Handle ACH and wire transfers and reconciliation
- Develop and maintain effective cost allocation systems and tools
- Secure and manage the annual financial audit and resulting reporting
- Look for cost-reduction opportunities
- Ensure that Pachamama Alliance meets all its statutory and compliance obligations, including statutory accounting and tax issues, in accordance with non-profit GAAP principles
- Stay up-to-date with technological advances and accounting software to be used for financial purposes
- Work with Development team to ensure effective revenue pipeline and cash flow management
Financial Reporting Responsibilities
- Provide regular financial statements and analyses to appropriate teams and the Board of Directors as necessary
- Create a functional approach to executing monthly cash flow forecasting
- Ensure all annual, quarterly, and periodic national, state, and local filings are completed—e.g., annual tax filings, quarterly worker’s compensation and unemployment insurance filings, tax exemption filings, nonprofit and fundraising registrations, etc.
- Support grant compliance, management, and reporting
- Build and maintain effective relationships with the Board of Directors’ finance committee and audit committee
- Liaise with outside auditors and tax consultants on outsourced accounting functions.
- Create and maintain dotted-line relationships to other colleagues whose responsibilities intersect with Finance
- Other duties as requested or assigned
- At least five years experience in non-profit financial management and accounting
- Experience developing budgets for organizations with multiple programs and departments and large number of funding sources
- Hands-on, with strong sense of ownership in department function
- Considerable ability to work independently, problem-solve and drive for results
- Experience developing and working in a service-minded culture
- Solid experience using QuickBooks Online and Excel in a professional setting, experience using Salesforce a plus
Compensation and Benefits
This position is on-site, exempt, full-time and located in the San Francisco Presidio. Salary is in the range of $75K per year (depending on experience), plus generous vacation and health benefits. Employees receive a complimentary pass to the PresidiGo Shuttle that has stops at the San Francisco Transit Terminal, Embarcadero, and others in route to the Presidio. All the criteria-based duties and standards within this document will be performed according to established policies, procedures, and guidelines within the Pachamama Alliance organization.
If you are interested in this position, please first visit and thoroughly explore our website: pachamama.org. Then submit cover letter and resume via email to Tatiana Tilley at email@example.com. Include your name and “Senior Finance Manager” in the subject line, and submit a cover letter and resume as separate attachments. No phone calls, please.
It is the policy of Pachamama Alliance to provide equal opportunity to all employees, applicants and program beneficiaries; to provide equal opportunity for advancement of employees; to provide program and employment facilities which are accessible to those with disabilities and to administer its programs in a manner that does not discriminate against any person because of race, creed, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age, political affiliation or citizenship. All qualified applicants, including minorities and women, are encouraged to apply.